Friday, July 20, 2012

Strange trip - part II

My ex-husband and I had a very successful divorce.  We remained good friends during the divorce procedure, and afterwords, through his remarriage, until the day of his untimely death 2 years ago. I remain good friends with his widow.  A few years ago, when our son got married out-of-state, the 3 of us went on the same flight, rented a car together, hung out together when there were no wedding-related activities going, on, etc., and generally had a good time.

During the recent trip to my home state, I discussed the purchase of a permanent grave marker with his widow.  Turned out she had been shopping for one, but couldn't decide. And it was expensive!  So, my son and I offered to split the cost in equal 3 way parts, which suited her just fine.  So, while I was there, she and I went to the tombstone company to complete the selection and purchase.  She had already visited with them, so they knew who she was, but when she introduced me as the first wife, they were jaw-dropping astonished!  It was not only because this was a joint decision and a joint purchase, but that it was obvious from our give-and-take that we were friends. 

We were giving them the facts and dates for the tombstone, and neither of us could remember the exact day that he had died.  Was it the 10th or the 11th?  At this point, the widow turned her back to me, pulled up her T-shirt, and asked me to read the tatoo.  Yes, she had his birth and death date tatooed on her back.  Now, it was my turn to be surprised!  

No comments:

Post a Comment