Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Clogged toilet?

The toilet that came with my house is a low water type, which means it saves water but it gets plugged more easily.  The bowl is shaped funny such that I cannot get a good seal with my plunger.  I found out that Drano is a no-no for toilets because it can cause the pipes under the toilet to explode, which is bad on many levels.  In desparation, I got a drain snake, which worked, but it's a pain to use and scratches the porcelin. 

Then (trumpet fanfare, please)  I found someone on the Internet who recommended Dawn dishwashing liquid.  Put in about 1/2 cup, wait a while, then flush.  Works like a charm!  It usually works in about 1/2 hour, though one time I had to give it another "dose" and go to work.  I flushed it when I got home, and everything did what it was supposed to do. 

It's cheap, safe, won't scratch anything, and leaves a pleasant scent.  And if it doesn't work, you can always get out the snake.

1 comment:

  1. That’s a great tip! It is amazing how the Internet makes our life easier nowadays. Following tips and guidelines is definitely beneficial for us, but it would be best to consult a professional, especially of the problem is beyond our skill. Anyway, I’m glad that it works well with you.

    Levi Eslinger

    ReplyDelete