Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Protestant and Catholic

This post is in response to a comment on my previous post, asking how, as a Catholic, I integrated John Wesley's beliefs into my own.  Since I can't figure out how to put a comment on my own post (!!), I will just add a post! 

In this particular case, no "integration" is necessary.  John Wesley echoes very closely the Catholic view of poverty vs. riches. Just look at the writings and teachings of St. Francis of Assisi.

Modern "prosperity theology" is a recent thing (from about the 1950's) and is very different from Catholic and mainstream Protestant beliefs.  Though I can't tell for sure, some of Herman Cain's comments would lead me to believe he subscribes to this. 

Since becoming Catholic a few years ago, I have spent as much time as I can studying Catholic history and theology.  I have been astonished to find that the difference between Catholic theology and mainstream Protestant theology are not as profound as I had been led to believe.    There is direct scriptural back-up for 99% of what Catholics believe, which shouldn't be surprising considering that the Catholic church actually wrote the New Testament, after all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment