Friday, August 17, 2012

Don't fence me in.

I hate generalizing philosophies.  I hate the "ism"s that generalize, also.  I hate categories and tests that put you in some category.  Generalizing categories may or may not apply to any particular person or situation, so why go along with something that could badly mislead you?  I hate people that say small government is always better.  I hate people that say big government is always better.  They are both wrong.  It makes as much sense as saying a semi is always better than a motorcycle, or vice versa.  Look at the particular need, for God's sakes!

I hate people that ask me if I am a feminist, as there are thousands of different defitions of that.  I'll tell you what I believe...if there is something I want to do or be, stay out of my way and let me do it.  And by the way, it would be great if you could treat all other females the same way.  Since I am female, maybe that makes me a feminist, maybe it doesn't. 

All of my life people have made wrong assumptions about me and deniet me opportunities just because I am female.  For instance, the assumption is that girls have less ability and/or interest in math than boys.  Maybe that's true for girls as a category, but it has never applied to me as an individual.  From the time I was in the first grade up to and including my senior year in college (as a math major) I usually made the best grade in the room on all math tests.  Better than the boys.  I was never very competitive, but there were a few boys that seemed to be, and they found it very irritating that I made better than they did.  The fact that they were irritated amused me greatly! 

When I was in grade school I had a teacher than allowed the boys outside during recess on cold days, but not the girls.  When I was in high school band, I wanted to be in the pep band also, but was not allowed to because I was a girl.  I tried to find out why but ran into a brick wall.  I understand that barrier is down now.  Good! 

When I was a programmer, I applied twice for the job as computer center director, and was denied twice. 
Both times, they hired a complete idiot.  One of the people that was on the search committe told me when he retired that the reason I was denied is that a vice president blocked my promotion because I was female.  I guess I could have raised a fuss, but that's not my style.  I was on my way out the door to get my Ph.D. by that point, anyway.    It's ironic that since then, I have been an academic department chair for 3 occasions now, a different but equally demanding management position.  And I did fine. 

I don't want to be a man.  I just want to be a person. 

No comments:

Post a Comment