Friday, April 1, 2011

If I had 9 lives....

As retirement gets closer, I realize that my working life looks much more finite than it used to.  Instead of computer science teaching and publication extending far out into the future in a rather indefinite way, it now has a stopping point.  This is by my choice.  I feel like it will be time for me to do other things with my life.  My list of projects for retirement gets longer all the time! 

On the other hand, I think about the career choices that I made, and I wonder what might have been if I had chosen other paths.  Or, if I had 9 lives instead of just one, what would I do with the other 8?  It's been fun to plan alternate lives, even if I don't get to do them. 

Life #1.  Stay in math instead of going into computer science.  I discovered the joy of number theory in graduate school and almost wished I was earning my Ph.D. in math, with emphasis on number theory.  Number theory is about integers, and it's a wide open field.  Results in number theory are used a lot in computer chip design, so it's practical as well as fun.

Life #2.  Instead of math or pure computer science, go into computer history.  Another fascinating field.  Maybe I can publish a little in this field before I retire, who knows.  However, an entire career in that area would have been interesting.

Life#3.  Sell real estate.  I love real estate.  I would be making a lot more money that I am now, that's for sure!

Life #4. Become a professional artist.  I do plan on spending a lot of my retirement doing art, so this dream isn't totally lost.

Life #5.  Write novels.  I nearly made this choice, as I spent a lot of time writing when my son was a baby and I didn't work.  I thought at the time it would be more fun to just continue that.  But computers are fun, too, and I was tempted away to be a programmer again. 

Life #6.  Play the clarinet for the New York Philharmonic. 

Lifes #7  Be a back-up singer for the Rolling Stones.

Life #8.  Still working on this one.

How about you?  Leave a comment about your 9 lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment