Friday, April 29, 2011

I love it when a plan comes together.

Two years ago, I took the initiative to start a student computer club here.  We became an official campus club, and also became associated with a national professional group.  We rocked along for three semesters, and we had some successful events, but it didn't quite "jell".  This semester, another faculty member volunteered to be the official sponsor, as I was teaching an overload, but I remained attached to the club as a faculty helper.  The combination turned out to be just what we needed!  Suddenly, there was all sorts of stuff going on.  We took an overnight road trip to the other side of the state to visit a major software firm, which was a great experience for the students.  And yesterday, the club sponsored a mini-conference here on campus that turned out to be quite popular, and well attended in spite of the fact that we had unintentionally scheduled it at the same time as another on-campus event.

The students here are great, and easy to work with.  The faculty is the same.  So glad I'm here! 

And, suddenly, BAM, spring is finally here!  Easter Sunday, the temps bounced up to the 60's, the sun came out, the remainder of the snow melted, and within the next day or two the grass on my lawn all turned green and started growing.  There are places in my front lawn that could use mowing already.  The lilac bush by my porch is budding.  It should be a great summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment