Saturday, May 14, 2011

Decision, decisions.

Today is graduation day here.  I came early so I could get a good parking place, so I am putzing around the office doing this and that.  The students have their rite of passage today.  That, and the fact that I will be turning 60 in a few weeks reminds me of my approaching rite of passage--retirement.  

I have pretty well decided the "when" of my retirement", but not the "where".  It's something frequently in the back of my mind.  At this point, I can identify 4 options.

1.  Stay right here.  It's a nice community, no moving expenses required, and I should have everything I need.  But not everything I want. 
2.  Move back to my old home state.  I would be able to see family and friends more frequently, and the shopping is better.  But the heat in the summer just kills me.
3.  Move closer to my son's place so I could see him more often.  It's a nice state, but the cost of living is very high. 
4.  My cousin and I have talked about sharing a place close to where her son and grandchildren live.  Right now they live in Montana, but that could change. And if they move around from place to place in the coming years, she would want to follow them. 

There are positives and negatives to every choice.  I'm glad I have several years to think about it. 

1 comment:

  1. Some of the blogs I follow refer to your neck of the woods as the "American Redoubt." If I had to make one more major move (unlikely but possible) I'd probably be looking in Montana myself.

    ReplyDelete